I reinstalled my laptop (Lenovo T61) last week. There is nothing like a clean reinstalled PC!
After this I experienced a very annoying problem with Outlook 2007 and Word 2007. The mouse would simply stop working in the “edit area” of the programs. So if I needed to move the cursor, click on a link or copy some text etc. I would have to use the keyboard.
I googled a lot and found a lot of suggestions – most of them related to bad registry settings. None of them worked. I tried to repair Office 2007 and I tried to remove and reinstall Office 2007. That did not help either.
No add-ins were installed so this was not the problem.
Finally I cracked this one. It took me a few hours though. After reinstalling the laptop I decided that I wanted to try the IBM/Lenovo Client Security Solition. Could this software be causing the problem. I tried to disable this software and the problem was gone!
I went to lenovo’s site and found a patch for this specific error. You can download it here:
I have applied the patch and now Office works like a charm again. Hopefully this can save you a lot of time if you are experiencing lack of mouse support in your Office 2007 installation.